In the new year I started actively looking for a job abroad so I created a portfolio magazine and updated the article about the now defunct Punisher PSN game with two videos showing the maps and special effects I worked on.
It became clear early on that the stock particle system is very limited, especially when compared to UDK’s Cascade. Right now I don’t mind this because the tricks and workarounds I have to come up with force me to learn more about the internal workings of the engine. However in an actual production environment I’d be very unhappy with the sub-par solution so with a friend of mine we started working on a flexible, modular particle system (AMPS). The high level design is in reasonably good shape so when I’m done with the UI mockups then I’ll be able to write a post about the general idea.